Certification Director, Biodegradable Products Institute
Position Type: Full Time, Salaried
Location: Remote (home office), must be located in United States
Mission: A science driven nonprofit that supports a shift to the circular economy by promoting the production, use, and appropriate end of lives for materials and products that are designed to fully biodegrade in biologically active environments. BPI operates North America's leading certification program for compostable products and packaging, certified to ASTM D6400 or D6868.
Certification Goal: Provide technically and scientifically credible certifications for materials that biodegrade in biologically active environments.
Job Title: Certification Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and manage certification programs and staff
- Develop and manage budget for certification programs, including staffing, contracts for Technical Reviewer (DIN CERTCO), database developers, and outside advisors, etc.
- Oversee certification team to ensure program runs smoothly and remains credible
- Oversee changes to license agreements and confidentiality agreements
- Co-chair Standards & Procedures committee
- Work with Board Member co-chair(s) to ensure committee and subgroups are working efficiently, providing a valuable collaboration space
- Manage new certification developments directed by the Board
- Work with Executive Director on new certifications (e.g., soil biodegradable mulch film)
- Work with Executive Director on the expansion of certification across the Western Hemisphere (e.g., logistics of staffing/contractors in Latin America, etc.).
- Attend/speak at conferences, trade-shows and events on behalf of BPI
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon.
Qualifications and Requirements
- 10+ years of work experience in a related field, with a technical background
- Degree in science related area preferred
- Familiarity with ASTM standards and tests related to biodegradation and compostability (ie, D6400, D6868, D5338, etc.).
- The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a keen eye for organization.
- Must be proactive and able to lead a remote team, promoting a balance of collaboration and independent work
- Must have access to high speed internet from a home office and be computer proficient -- Google email, Microsoft Office, and the ability to learn new programs quickly (e.g., Trello job tracking, database software, etc.).
- Must have keen understanding of environmental issues around single-use packaging, and the role BPI plays.
- Willingness to travel 25-35% of the time.
- Commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: 401k, paid time off, health insurance reimbursement plan, and a monthly gym/fitness allowance.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than January 15th 2020. Applications are reviewed as they are received.