The BPI Approval Process & Test Requirements
Time & Cost
- Testing for ASTM D6400 or D6868 may require a minimum of 90 days, and a maximum of 180 days.
- BPI certification review requires six to eight weeks AFTER receipt of test results and other required information.
- BPI review costs US$1,500 for new certifications.
- Licensing costs US$3,000 per year for three years. After three years, process of review and licensing is repeated. Note: members of the US Compost Council receive a $500/year discount.
- Testing by scientific labs is a separate expense, billed directly to the applicant.
- Full disclosure formulation information. Listing and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of all formula constituents > 0.1% including CAS#’s. There are no concentration limit for carcinogens, reproduction toxins, environmental dangerous chemicals (PBT substances).
- Appropriate ATR or FTIR documentation from an approved lab.
- Maximum thickness information.
- Product samples (at least 4 samples) and description of the form of use.
- Metals Information from an approved lab.
- Ash Test Results from an approved lab.
- DIN Certco or “OK Compost” certificates, if available.
Finished Products Made from Approved Materials*
- All requirements from A plus:
- Laboratory test data demonstrating compliance with ASTM D6400 or ASTM D6868, including: biodegradation, disintegration & phytotoxicity (Germination rate and plant biomass (2 species)
Finished Products Made from New Materials** & Bagasse
- All requirements from A & B plus:
- For Bagasse/Molded Pulp:
- Maximum density information.
- ASTM D6866 data must be supplied if the manufacturer wishes to claim that product is a “material of natural origin,”
- Total dry and volatile solids
* BPI-Approved products
** New raw materials not previously approved by BPI, DIN-CERTCO or OK-Compost.
Steps in the BPI Approval Process
- Approved Test Lab Results: Applicant obtains ASTM test results on product from BPI-Approved Lab.
- Trilateral NDA: BPI, DIN CERTCO, and applicant enter into an NDA. Applicant provides product description including resins or ingredients used, pigments, maximum thicknesses and tradename for product to be sold.
- Independent Review of Test Results: Once applicant has submitted all test results and forms to BPI, they will be transmitted to DIN CERTCO along with a product sample for Technical Review.
- BPI License Agreement: After successful review of test results, applicant enters into licensing agreement granting them right to use The Compostable Logo and other BPI trademarks. License is valid for three years.
- Review of Marketing Materials & Claims: Applicant prepares sample artwork of packaging, web pages, brochures & advertising using the compostable logo. BPI will periodically test and inspect products in the market for compliance.